Much like the Not Ready for Primetime Players, there is a group of amazingly talented authors on the cusp of stardom. They gather here at the Not so Famous Author's Blog to tell you all about writing and smashing your head on a desk. No just the writing part. .

Enjoy!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Holy Buckets of Blood, I Can Finally Write!



Halloween is just around the corner, and my family is really into the spirit of things…no pun intended. This year we’re decorating the porch with a seven foot hanging skeleton made of milk jugs, massive amounts of cobwebs, some freakishly large spiders, and, of course, the motion-sensitive laughing skull, which startles anyone who comes to the door. The pizza guy is not a fan of our house.





We like a little horror in our house, especially those scary movies. Slasher movies rock because they clear my cluttered head so I can think and then later write. It’s like breathing fresh air to watch one. Perhaps it scrubs my brain of all those romance books I read and write? Yes, it’s strange, but I go with what works.

I made a list of my top five, which tend to be the older flicks. They seem less on special effects and more on character and plot. Enjoy.




  1.   Carrie. Holy buckets of blood. Prom night gone awry and one psychic girl who gets her revenge.
  2. Jaws. What’s not to love: long teeth and blood and gore and a boat out in the middle of nowhere. And the half-eaten guy…and the girl…and the other guy. I actually sat on the front row for this one. I was seven. What on earth were my parents thinking? Sigh. It was the seventies.
  3.  The Shining. Empty hotel. Crazy dad. Long butcher knife. Good stuff.
  4. The Birds. Suspenseful with a touch of romance, and of course the super-creepy birds that want to KILL you. Hitchcock is a master at keeping me on the edge of my seat.
  5. The Bell Witch. This one is the newest, 2007, but I had to add because it’s based on a true story: about a witch who lived in Adams, Tennessee, not far from my home. After watching this, I never looked at the woods the same again.


Why do you watch horror? Is it for the nerve-racking moments, like when the girl hides in a closet, but you know the bad guy is going to find her? Yes, my friend, Michael Meyers will find you.

What are some of your favs? Does it help you write? Probably not. Most normal people go for walks to clear their head.

Oh, and here's a pic of a milk jug skeleton if the scary talk frightened you. He'll make you smile.




No comments:

Post a Comment