Much like the Not Ready for Primetime Players, there is a group of amazingly talented authors on the cusp of stardom. They gather here at the Not so Famous Author's Blog to tell you all about writing and smashing your head on a desk. No just the writing part. .

Enjoy!

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

HELP! I'm a Zombie!


It's true. This is what I look like these days:




Well, maybe my hair is a different color and I wear glasses most of the time, but you get the idea.  Yes. I am still in editing hell. (See post from two weeks ago).

See it all started like this: I got my edits back and my wonderful, sweet, kind editor told me I needed to "dig deep" to better show the heroine's motivation. Hmmmm, I thought I'd done that of course, but apparently, it needed work. Probably because my heroine has some serious issues.

1. She's a little crazy. (Read below)
2. She counts. Anything. The floor tiles, buttons, rocks, pecans on top of a muffin.
3. She makes this "bad list" where she promises herself she's going to drink, do drugs, and have sex with random guys.
4. She has severe laughing attacks. Her version of a panic attack? Still tweaking that one.
5. She carries a knife around. And strokes it.
6. She has a thing for words...yeah, big ones too, like Weissnichtwo. If you don't know what it means, go google it.
7. She's pretty much a bad girl.
8. She loves to eat sweets.
9. She gets her nipple pierced and an awesome tattoo.
10. I got nothing. Just wanted to get to 10. To make it a nice even list.


Okay, so do you have a mental picture of my heroine? Maybe she's like this:






No, no, no, that's not her. That's Angelina Jolie from Girl Interrupted, but you see where I'm going right?Yeah, she's got some problems, but there are REASONS why she acts this way!!!!  AND that's what my editor needs me to show. It's called motivation and it's hard to write when your character is as complex as mine.

Do you have any ideas about Nora and her motivations? No, of course not, because it's all in my head. I know WHY she is like she is, it's just hard to get it across on paper, especially when I know her so well that I just assume you do too.

So this week as you write your happy, happy, joy, joy, stories, please think of me as I am in editing HELL, trying to adequately get across Nora's motivations.

So, have you ever struggled with getting motivation across?  Why your character does what she does?  Come on, I can't be the only one! Tell me your experiences. Make me feel better so I don't look like this anymore. ♥






Until next time,
Ilsa Madden-Mills

My Author Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Author-Ilsa-Madden-Mills/164946810330135?fref=ts

My Goodreads Link:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17836829-very-bad-things

My Awesome Freaking Book Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ue0eLwXXpdc

My wonderful editor's page:
http://www.theromanticeditor.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment